We welcome all young refugees and asylum seekers at any stage of the asylum process and regardless of their English language level. Our groups are safe spaces to have fun, develop language skills, learn about the UK, meet others from their country, make new friends from around the world and get advice.
Our youth activities include:
• Weekly youth clubs in Brent and Croydon. We cook together, dance and play games, and have a combination of creative and practical sessions, from guitar lessons, singing and drama to language support, sexual health and rights and entitlements workshops. A caseworker is available at our mixed youth groups in both locations.
• A weekly girl’s group in Croydon. A space for girls to build self-esteem and self-awareness and to express themselves in a safe space. Activities include art, music, group games, dance and workshops on different topics.
• A weekly lunch group at the College of North West London (Willesden) where students can drop in to play music, board games and cards, or just have a space to hang out with their friends.
• Weekly Football in Brent. A chance to train and play games on a state-of-the-art pitch with a qualified coach.
• Trips and holiday activities. One Saturday a month and during the holidays we run additional activities including trips in the local area and to central London, chosen by the young people.
Our peer support project trains 16 – 25 year old refugees and asylum seekers with a good grasp of English as peer mentors to provide English support to other refugee, asylum seeking and migrant young people (11-25) who have a lower level of English. They do this through 1-to-1 study and group sessions. The project includes:
• A weekly English Club in Croydon run year round*. This activity is open to referrals for young people needing the support as well as young people who would like to build their leadership and communication skills, while gaining experience as a Mentor and an accreditation for their volunteering. *Please note: this activity will not be running on the 7th, 14th and 21st June. We will start up again on 28th June
• Two weekly English Coaching groups at the College of North West London, one in Wembley and one in Willesden, run term time only.
Our casework service provides 1-to-1 support with immigration and housing issues, accessing benefits, finding solicitors, registering with GPs and making referrals to other services.
A full schedule of the above activities in each location can be downloaded here.
If you would like to refer a young person to our football project or casework service, please complete our registration and referral form and return to London@youngroots.org.uk
Our weekly youth clubs, girls' group and Croydon Peer Support are run on a drop a drop-in basis and young people are welcome to just come along on the day. If they’d like support getting there, /contact us/ to see if we have a volunteer available who could meet them to bring them along.