We have an exciting volunteer opportunity to join our project in Brent supporting our summer holiday sports programme (1st August – 5th September) for 11-25 year old refugees and asylum seekers. Sessions will include cricket, boxing and yoga.
In this role you will:
– Work with the Project Worker and young people to run weekly summer sports activity for young refugees and asylum seekers in Brent.
– Help set up, clear up and evaluate activities with project staff, including participating in debrief meetings at the end of the activity.
– Support participants to take part in the activities
– Attend and take part in training as agreed with Project Worker and Service Manager.
– Report any problems, accidents or concerns to project staff.
– Read, understand and agree to Young Roots’ child protection/safeguarding policy.
For more information please download the role description and person specification.
Deadline: 9am Friday 5th July
Interviews: between 6 and 8pm on Thursday 11th July in London Bridge
We have an exciting volunteer opportunity to join our project in Brent to support our work with 11-25 year old refugees and asylum seekers. We are looking to recruit up to 10 Language Mentors to help facilitate English learning sessions with young people, one-to-one or in a small group, every Wednesday 5-8:30pm. The Wednesday sessions form part of our hub, where young people can come to access this English support as well as advice and casework, and our football activity. For more information and to see what we’re looking for, please download the role description and person specification.
What you’ll get from the role
• Experience working in a positive team environment in a dynamic organisation
• Experience of working with young refugees and asylum seekers
• The opportunity to make a real and direct difference in young peoples’ lives
“I really enjoy it (at YR) and there are opportunities for personal development.” – Volunteer quote from external evaluation report
What you’ll do in the role
1. Provide a safe and welcoming environment for young asylum seekers and refugees
2. Help facilitate English learning sessions with young people, one-to-one or in a small group including running games and welcome activities in Brent (Willesden Junction) Wednesdays 5-8:30pm.
3. Help the Project Coordinator/ Project Worker to run games and welcome activities
4. Assist the Project Coordinator and Project Worker to effectively deliver, monitor and evaluate the project
5. If interested, to volunteer on occasional trips in central London and support project staff to meet and accompany young people back.
6. Respect confidentiality and contribute to debriefs after the session
Deadline: Rolling deadline
Interview date: TBC
Please email CV and cover to Michele at Volunteering@youngroots.org.uk asap. We highly recommend you read our youth participation statement to understand more about how we work.
We have no trustee vacancies at the moment.